Friday, May 20, 2016

Open Studio Weekend












The Final Countdown

The count down has begun.  Artists across the state have been working hard and earnestly creating in anticipation of the weekend that kicks off the season for many of us.  The Vermont Crafts Council has done a fabulous job as always getting materials ready for the big Open Studio Weekend.  If you haven't picked up a map you can find one online at http://www.vermontcrafts.com/OSW/maps-directions.html  I can not say enough great things about this event.  Visiting an artists studio, watching them in action and just talking face to face will you give you a much deeper experience into the art and the life of the artist.  There are many new artists this year participating in the Mad River Valley and it should be a wonderful weekend for a joyride from studio to studio.

Glazing and Loading

For many of you who follow my work you know that surface is a large part of my process.  My pottery is highly decorated and patterned much of which I do in the glaze process.  I am pleased to announce that this year I get to share some of that process with you during Open Studio.  For the past decade I have been transporting bisque work to my salt kiln which is in another location.  Many times visitors are curious about this process and I do my best to explain it with photos and descriptions but seeing is believing, or rather a better learning experience.  I will be busy glazing up a new body of work for the recently built propane reduction kiln so this is a unique opportunity to see some wax resit, glaze trailing and patterning techniques that have become a signature in my work.

I hope to see you next weekend or Saturdays at the Waitsfield Farmers Market.  Here's to a great season!

No comments:

Post a Comment