Sunday, May 1, 2016

BURNERS!!

Well its finally coming together! This kiln has been long awaited sitting patiently as piles of bricks in the corners and under the tables in the studio.  The idea for a reduction kiln was inspired when I tore down the kiln at Warren Village Pottery several years ago.  Since then I have been holding the materials and picking away slowing at designing and building the new "recycled" kiln. It has been an amazing process transforming the materials into a new kiln! My husband Andy has been a champion helping me weld the frame and refurbishing new functional burners from old pieces and parts.   I am lucky to have him and his ingenuity on board with this project.



Inspiration in the Studio

The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play instinct.   -Carl Jung



Of course along with the excitement of a new kiln comes the excitement of a new process!  It has
been a decade since I have fired with reduction glazes and I am excited to be reunited with my old shino, tenmoku and celedon friends.  This has started a frenzy of inspiration in the studio.  Textures have exploded throughout the work anxiously awaiting the glossy pools of glaze goodness to come!  Pattern lovers have no fear because I also have an array of ideas floating in my head for wax shino patterns and have been mixing glazes that promise to carbon trap some beautiful surfaces for pattern development.  


This should be an exciting summer of creativity and play in the studio and I look forward to the months ahead!





No comments:

Post a Comment